INTERMEDIATE READING JOURNAL: THE GIFT OF THE MAGY BY O. HENRY

 



Summary

This simply story tells about sweet married couple Della and Jim Dillingham. It’s about their Christmas Eve celebration with special gifts. As their limit money, they think hard how to give something for each other. Finally, Della came to salon and sold her hair to buy Jim’s gift. And in one other hand Jim sold his watch to buy Della’s gift. They finally enjoy the Christmas Eve happily.





Reading Responses (10 out of 15)

1. Main Characters

Della and Jim are similar. Because they are doing their best for each other. As:

(Quoted) I had my hair cut off and sold it because I couldn’t have lived through Christmas without giving you a present.

(Quoted) I sold the watch to get the money to buy your combs.

2. Story Prediction

They will live more happily and grateful than before because they had known that they found the best lifer partners. As:

“Dell,” said he, “let’s put our Christmas presents away and keep ‘em a while. They’re too nice to use just as present.

3. Solved Problems

It’s clear that they were wondering how to give each other Christmas presents. Then finally Della sold her hair and Jim sold his watch to bought the gifts.

4. The Story’s Message

Loving someone isn’t always about materialist. Sincere feeling and act, that are the best gift for someone we love.

5. Change the Story

I appreciate this beautiful writing. I’ll not change anything about it.

6. Story Recommendation

I’ll literally recommend this story to my friends because it’s a simply and beautiful story.

7. What the Characters learn of the Story

Della and Jim learn to appreciate, accepting, loving each other with the true they are.

9. The Best Word for the Characters

Sweet.

(Quoted) I had my hair cut off and sold it because I couldn’t have lived through Christmas without giving you a present.

(Quoted) I sold the watch to get the money to buy your combs.

10. Story’s Point of View

The writer chooses third point of view, for example:

Three times Della counted it.

14. The Character’s Traits

Both of them (Della and Jim) are kind and care, as:

(Quoted) I had my hair cut off and sold it because I couldn’t have lived through Christmas without giving you a present.

(Quoted) I sold the watch to get the money to buy your combs.


Comments

Popular Posts